Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Move and Groove: Brown Bear, Brown Bear

 

 

 




 
Brown Bear, Brown Bear

By Bill Martin Jr., illustrated by Eric Carle

 

Brown bear, brown bear what do you see?

I see a red bird looking at me.

Red bird, red bird what do you see?

I see a yellow duck looking at me.

Yellow duck, yellow duck what do you see?

I see a blue horse looking at me.

Blue horse, blue horse what do you see?

I see a green frog looking at me.

Green frog, green frog what do you see?

I see a purple cat looking at me.

Purple cat, purple cat what do you see?

I see a white dog looking at me.

White dog, white dog what do you see? 

I see a black sheep looking at me.

Black sheep, black sheep what do you see?

I see a goldfish looking at me.

Goldfish, goldfish what do you see?

I see a teacher looking at me.

Teacher, teach what do you see?

I see children looking at me.

(Then repeat all the animals that the children see!)

 
Thank you Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle!  This book might just be preschool perfection!  There's a gentle rhythm to the text that helps children understand the patterns of language, there are colors and animal sounds to explore, and there's repetition.    This book is everything.  
 
You can use this formula to make up your own rhymes.  I used this pattern for a shape rhyme in the fall.  You can make up your own song by lining up several toys and talking about what each one sees down the line like this:
 
Teddy bear, teddy bear, what do you see?
I see a baby doll looking at me.
 
Please enjoy the song, re-read the book, and make up your own song!


Sending you smiles from afar!
Miss Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diverse Books: Young Adult Books by Asian American and Pacific Islander Authors

    Asian American Pacific Islander Month May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Month and to celebrate the Macomb Public Library is ...