Monday, September 21, 2020

 

Monday Morning Messy Makers: Squirrels

Programming doesn't stop just because our building is closed! Check our blog every Monday for new ideas and activities based on that week's theme. Today's theme is squirrels. Keep scrolling to see book recommendations, songs, rhymes, activities, and crafts your kids will go nuts for. (Recommended age:2-5)


Squirrel Song

Tune: She’ll be Coming Round the Mountain

I’ll be gatherin’ all the acorns ‘til they’re gone

I’ll be gatherin’ all the acorns ‘til they’re gone

I’ll be gatherin’ all the acorns, I’ll be gatherin’ all the acorns,

I’ll be gatherin’ all the acorns ‘til they’re gone

And I’ll put them all inside my little home.

I will put them all inside my little home.

I will put them all inside, put them all inside.

Put them all inside my little home.

 

Five Little Squirrels

Tune: Five Little Monkies

Five little squirrels with acorns to store.
One went to sleep and then there were four!
Four little squirrels hunting acorns in a tree.
One fell down, and now there are three!
Three little squirrels wondering what to do.
One got lost, and now there are two!
Two little squirrels tossing acorns for fun.
One got tired, and now there is one!
One little squirrel playing in the sun.
He ran away, now there are none.

Make your own squirrel!

1. Fold in the top of a toilet paper roll to create ears.

2. Cut out and glue on the body parts. Curl the tail for a realistic effect.

3. Draw a mouth and don’t forget the squirrel teeth!


Try these out!

  • Invite your child to eat the next snack or meal like a squirrel.
  • Give the neighborhood squirrels a snack. Sprinkle food in your yard or create a squirrel feeder with a pine cone, peanut butter, and seeds.
  • Role Play! See how many acorns your child can gather from your yard. Bring them inside and take turns hiding the acorns from each other. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Diverse Books: Young Adult Books by Asian American and Pacific Islander Authors

    Asian American Pacific Islander Month May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Month and to celebrate the Macomb Public Library is ...